3/27/09

Fish and Chips

This recipe I got from Jamie Oliver's show, Oliver's Twist, which is one of my favorite cooking shows on television. It's really easy to make and I've made it a little bit my own by adding on my own dip, a few more ingredients, and using milk instead of beer (which is mainly because I didn't have beer at the time haha)

Ingredients:
1. 4 Fish fillets: something nice and firm but not steak-y (I recommend lapu-lapu, dori, or tilapia)
2. Salt and pepper
3. 1 cup Milk
4. 1 cup regular Flour
5. Cayenne pepper
6. 2 egg whites, whisked until white and sticky
7. 2 Potatoes (or more if you want a lot of chips!)
8. Dijon mustard
9. Mayonaise
10. Lemon/calamansi

Directions:
For the Fish
1. Season the the fish fillets with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper
2. Mix together the egg whites, flour, milk/beer, and season with a bit more of salt, pepper, and cayenne.
3. Dip the fish fillets into the mixture
4. Fry in hot oil about an inch thick to ensure crispiness. Each fillet will be done in about 5 minutes.

For the chips
1. Peel the potatoes (I like to leave a little skin on)
2. Cut into wedges or thin strips or discs, it's up to you
3. Blanche in oil
4. When the fish is all done, you can re-fry the potatoes again in the now very hot oil so it will be nice and crispy.

For the dip:
Mix mustard to mayo (2:3) with a pinch of pepper

Serve together, seasoned with salt and pepper, with mustard and lemon juice on the side.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment